Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Blood Moon

About 4:45 am, PT. Nearly total
 It was dark. It was cold. But it was the night. The night of the blood moon, and I was hoping for clear skies. The weather map showed a finger of clear weather for central Washington State.

Armed with a warm jacket, a fleecy blanket, and a pair of binoculars, I made my way out onto the deck. Roger had already gotten up and snapped this first picture, but it was hard for the camera to focus on it.

I peeked at the moon, but it was the stars that overwhelmed me. It's dark up at 3,000 feet with no city lights! Since I'm never up at this time of the night, I didn't even recognize the constellations. Orion had set hours ago.

I didn't last long for the first peek. "Not total yet," I said and crawled back under the warm fleece sheets and blankets of my bed.

5:00 am. Total lunar eclipse. April 4, 2015
I watched the clock for 4:53, supposedly the first of the whole 4 minutes the moon would be totally eclipsed and "blood red." Well, it wasn't blood red, but a beautiful dark orange. It looked amazing through the binoculars too!

I sat in a porch chair this time, wrapped up in my fleece blanket, but I didn't last long. I didn't have to. Four minutes is a very short time for a total lunar eclipse. I saw it. Roger took pictures. We went back to bed.

I went back to sleep.

I believe there is another "blood moon" scheduled for September. It is amazing to me how mathematicians can calculate an upcoming (years, even) lunar or solar eclipse to the very minute it will begin and end, and yet they can't make the obvious conclusion that an ordered universe--precise to the second--demands an orderly Creator. It boggles the mind to hear their convoluted explanations.

Thanks. I'll pass and stick with Genesis 1:1: "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

5 comments:

Bethany R. said...

Wow! I stayed up to see one a while back but this is super cool! Good pics! ;-)

I kinda think that it is a little scary because of the verse in the Bible that talks about the end times and the blood moon. Apparently there have been several already this year and more scheduled!

Unknown said...

Love the pictures! It was foggy here and I didn't feel like getting up and watching it. I watch the other ones earlier last year.
Those photos are amazing! So glad you've got a personal blog we can read from! :D

Jesseca Dawn said...

I love the pictures! They're amazing!!

Faith P. said...

That's so cool! Great pictures!

Bethany R. said...

Hello Susan! Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster Award! I would really enjoy reading whatever answers you post! Visit my blog for the questions and rules! Here is the link: www.bethanyr4Him.blogspot.com