Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Making Tub Butter

Do you, like me, despise tub margarine that seems to be about 80% water and lasts less than a week, since you have to spread so much of it on your bread to get any taste? Do you, like me, wonder what it’s actually made of? What a waste of money! And it’s not very healthy, either.

But butter alone is too hard to use if left in the fridge, and too soft (especially in the summer) if left out. (Besides, the cat might jump up and start licking any butter that is left out on the counter.)

Ta-Da! There is hope. Years ago, I learned how to make butter that keeps in the fridge yet stays SOFT, just like tub margarine. The perfect homestead compromise between natural butter and healthy canola or olive oil. Since learning about this, I have not looked back. And I have not bought tub margarine since.

To make this simple concoction, you need:

1) A blender2) 2 cubes (1 cup) soft butter
3) 1 cup Canola or Olive oil
4) A 2-cup Tupperware or Ziplock plastic container with tight lid.

Blend the oil and soft butter together until smooth and creamy. Pour into the storage container, snap on the lid, and put in the refrigerator. It hardens up to the consistency of tub margarine. It lasts a lot longer than tub margarine because you don’t need very much to taste it. And it cuts your butter costs in half.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

I've been meaning to do this since tasting it at your house. Thanks for posting the directions! (We don't like the taste of margarine any more.)

Bobby and Jennifer said...

I'll give it a try. I am one that leaves the butter on the counter. I have a neat little butter dish with a lid that holds two sticks of butter. But I'll try anything that could cut the cost of butter.