Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It's . . . It's . . . Sunshine!

Quick! Before it rains! I planted our new little garden. The size was determined by the amount of deer netting we had on hand (Walmart was out). Along with this little mini-delight, our 7 blueberry plants and one Italian prune tree huddle in safety from those leaf-chomping varmits called white-tailed deer.

I have to say that the dirt here on our homestead is the best dirt I've every worked with (and that's saying a lot, having grown gardens for most of my married life). No rocks, except bitty ones; fine, crumbly loam/silt, with just enough clay to hold the water but not drown the plants. It rototilled up so fine and nice! Even after pouring down rain yesterday, I could plant today and it was NOT MUDDY! I am saddened to think that my poor DD back in Enumclaw is anxious to plant her garden on our old place, which they are renting. But alas, it is not to be. It is sloppy mud with a clay content of about 80% and the water table is about 12" down these days. Bad news for them.

That is why I am so pleased with our little experimental garden. There is one row of spinach, two rows of beans, a row of broccoli, a row of cilantro, and three rows of corn. Oh, and a tiny hill of acorn squash.

I hope this weekend warms up and everything comes up soon!

1 comment:

PrairieMom said...

Wonderful! We love gardening, too.
Thanks for sharing your little piece of heaven with us, Susan.
Smiles....